Monday, March 3, 2014

Customized sound and storage

Woodworking is always most interesting when we are able to customize a project or a plan. Even if you follow a very detailed plan while building a project, there are many opportunities to modify it to your own tastes. So I always love to see how people get creative with some of the projects from my show.

Ron Ward used my shop storage cabinet as a starting point to build this set of drawers for his shop. He mentioned how much he learned by making it. So true. I learn more about woodworking with every project.



*****
If you want to make a musical instrument, a cajon would be a good one to start with. No fancy wood needed, just some plywood. I really love seeing all the different ways people have tackled this project. The art shows up in the customization, such as this beautiful one from Dan Johns that includes french ash burn inlaid dots. 





*****
It was just a week or so ago that I became fascinated by unusual bookcases. Samuel Taylors daughter asked him to build a bookcase for her. After much design consideration, she settled on a tree. This kind of bookshelf system is just plain awesome. No plans, Samuel just winged it. 






*****
Mere Minutes

From this past weekend. Mostly some updates on recent projects. And forgive me, I have painted.


No comments:

Post a Comment